Join a team that provides the highest customer support experience through standard operating procedures, well-developed support tools, and customer service-focused support staff.
We are accountable to each other and believe in the power of hard work directed at the right thing. We know that our industry doesn’t stay the same, and if we don’t increase our value to clients, someone else will. We are open-minded and candid with each other to find out what is true and consider alternative viewpoints. We believe in creating and using well-documented systems.
What is a Service Desk Consultant / Help Desk Technician?
Service Desk Consultants (Help Desk Technicians) address customer inquiries on various issues related to line-of-business software, endpoint hardware, and infrastructure. This is a front-line position, meaning you will answer the phone and be the first person to work on most new tickets. The typical range of activities includes new user setup, separations, fixing workstations, and fixing applications. If you cannot solve this, you will escalate to our next level of support.
Reactive support positions are essential to our service because they directly interact with clients. The experience of a client’s employees will often be determined by how well we do with their reactive support, how quickly we handle it, and how positive that interaction was.
This is a challenging position that requires intense focus on one ticket at a time, rapidly moving from one client task to the next. The tickets are reactive, meaning something needs to be fixed, and a client is waiting for this to happen.
This position is best for people who have a fundamental understanding of a wide array of technologies and want to use that skill to support small businesses with their entire technology stack in mind. You will have variety in work and need a broad technical knowledge base to work effectively.
Fanatically good documentation, thoroughness, and attention to detail are critical to delivering good outcomes. The activities of this role directly impact the efficiency and capabilities of all other service delivery departments. You must be following procedures exactly, updating them, or creating them.
You must have good customer service skills and genuinely enjoy interacting with others. If you prefer nuts and bolts without social interaction, this is not the job for you. But if you want the satisfaction of helping other people and meeting their needs, you will probably do well in this role.
What Will I Be Doing on the Job?
- Serve as the first point of contact for customers via email, phone, and web form.
- Manage customer expectations and provide timely and effective communications.
- Configure, maintain, and troubleshoot computer systems, hardware, and software.
- Provide remote support to end-users.
- Triage and assign alerts to the most appropriate resource.
- Escalate complex and high-time-cost issues to the next level of support.
- Focus on finding the root cause to prevent reoccurring issues.
- Prep computers, servers, and networking using defined procedures.
- Perform upgrades and evaluate issues outside of customer hours of operation as needed.
- Assist with shipping and receiving materials when other administrative roles are not able.
- Create and discuss recommendations for process improvements during weekly meetings.
- Reprioritize regularly and work on the highest priority item at all times.
- Follow documented start and end-of-day routines.
- Account for all time with detailed notes in our ticket and time management application.
- Follow and update written procedures. Create a procedure if it does not exist.
- Diligently document your work.
- Meet key performance indicators to ensure customer satisfaction and efficiency.
What Skills & Abilities Are Needed?
- Gather issue information and create an effective resolution plan.
- Manage and regularly update all tickets assigned to you.
- Be able to lift up to 70lbs following proper lifting techniques
- Be naturally curious with good troubleshooting skills, continue to ask why until you get to the root cause, and continue to tackle the problem from different angles until a solution is found. You should be comfortable figuring it out independently, even if you have never seen a particular problem before. Good instincts and research skills are helpful here.
- Be focused on providing the highest quality customer experience.
- Work independently or in teams, manage a full schedule, and seek new tasks with minimal oversight.
- Respect customer productivity and limit the impact of disruptive tasks.
- Prioritize and manage a dynamic workload while working in an orderly manner.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills via oral and written means.
- Strong attention to detail and follow through on all work without management follow-up.
- Be an avid learner and continuously engage with new and existing technologies.
- Focus on providing the highest quality customer support experience.
- Possess a strong work ethic, sense of urgency, and enthusiasm.
What Education & Experience is Needed?
- This is a mid-level position for candidates with either a technical degree, a relevant bachelor’s degree, or relevant experience.
- Two years of prior IT support experience in either field service, help desk, or network administration positions is helpful.
- Having prior customer service positions is helpful.
- Having prior experience at an MSP is helpful.
- Relevant hardware, software, and technology vendor certifications like CompTIA, Fortinet NSE, and Microsoft are a plus.
- Active Directory administration skills are required.
- Microsoft 365 administration skills are required.
- Understanding of networking used in small businesses.
- Experience with using and supporting workstation-based Windows, macOS, and Unix/Linux-based operating systems.
- Experience with cloud-based business-grade applications and productivity platforms.
- Have a fundamental understanding of a wide array of technologies. At a minimum, you will be asked to work with the following technologies: Traditional and Azure Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, RAID, Routers, VLAN’s, SSL VPN, IPSEC VPN’s, Group Policy, Azure, AWS, Office 365, SMTP, RDP, and a wide array of data backup software and hardware.
What are the Hours & Where is it?
Service Desk Technicians usually work 8-5 M-F in the Cranberry office. Occasionally, there may be a need to visit customer locations to resolve support requests. This is not a work-from-home position.
All technical resources also provide after-hours on-call technical coverage on a week-long rotating basis.
Must be able to work remotely if the office becomes unavailable.
What are the Benefits of the Job?
- Competitive salary with growth potential.
- Vacation & sick time.
- Paid holidays.
- Retirement plan with 3% match.
- 100% paid for premium healthcare for you, including medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
- Other supplemental benefits include cell phone plan support, gym memberships, and other healthy lifestyle incentives.